Went to Outerspace with Mew

Have you ever heard of this: "third time's the charm"? For me, the charm did not only work out on the (first and second) third time, but the fourth time as well. Yes, I met Jonas Bjerre in person again, for the fourth time. It's crazy.



It was last year when Mew came again to Indonesia for the 5th time. Mew have just released a new album, Visuals, and I really needed to hear the songs live. Too bad I had this utterly painful earache, my doctor would not let me go to the concert. It was so bad and I was so devastated. However, two months ago, I was super shocked to find out they're going to visit Jakarta again. I knew that they didn't even have any tour dates, not until the end of May, and they will only go around Europe. So their trip to Jakarta, basically was just a super random trip, or maybe because Mew love Indonesian Frengers so much? I hope so! 

Anyway, I won't talk much since I have already written soooo much about my love for Mew and my reaction towards each and every live concert they had here in Indonesia, so let's just cut it short. It's their 6th time coming to Indonesia and thank God they brought back the visual backdrop!

In a Better Place

As always, it was ethereal, especially the videos on the backdrop. Jonas created some new and colourful videos for Visuals live set (since he also created the graphics for their music videos, band's artwork, and merchandise too). I think he is quite addicted to the kaleidoscope-y thing, he's been using this optical illustration a lot. The videos brought me joy, it felt like I was in outer space, dancing and singing with them. It was captivating.

Satellites

I'm sorry but does his hand create magic or something?! And look at that cute little dance!!!! I've seen them live five times already and I think Jonas' awkward dance moves just got cuter and better. I remember the first time I saw them at Java Rockin' Land, Jonas was super duper shy he didn't say a word, just "thank you." Bo on the other hand, talked a lot during their first and second time. I think Jonas has already felt more comfortable to perform here and he doesn't feel shy to dance awkwardly and enjoy his own music in front of us. The dance that no one else could pull off in quite the same way. 

156

The old videos for the visual backdrop, like the animal faces stuck onto human torsos, cats playing violins (which some people find disturbing, REALLY?!) were still there. Came out during old songs like Apocalypso, Saviours of Jazz Ballet, Comforting Sounds. However, the "am i wry?" writing that was usually shown while they're singing Am I Wry? No, has changed into these beautiful golden-bubble rain. Also, the backdrop for 156... I was in awe. The red, pink, orange sparks blazing and dancing, and Jonas sang right in front of it was utterly beautiful.

Nothingness and No Regrets

The backdrop actually sets the stage for their performance. I really like the visual for Nothingness and No Regrets as seen in this video. So I was very happy when they brought it here to Indonesia. It was super trippy. It transported me to different places. Those beautiful graphics created the "MEW" vibe. The vibe you can only feel from listening to their songs, on your bed with your earphone on. The vibe you feel when you imagine yourself flying in a colorful galaxy accompanied by their tunes.

The performance ended with Carry Me To Safety and Comforting Sounds. The songs that always successfully breaks my heart because we have to say goodbye. However, that was not the only song that broke my heart. I also cried when Jonas said he's going to play something slow, something quiet, and he started singing Start midway through the night. Tears unconsciously streamed down my eyes. I really like Comforting Sounds as the song that actually comforts you, but listening to Start live, just blew me away. I could listen to Jonas' swooning high pitched vocals for years, really.


After the show ended, my friends, my brother, and I sat for quite some time just to take a rest. I actually did not expect to meet Mew in person this year, really. I just wanted to enjoy their performance to cure my sadness because of last year. But then, Dita, told us to go to the backstage and wait for Mew to come out. And then they came out of the door. This is the fourth time I saw Jonas right in front of my eyes but I still felt super starstruck. But I plucked up my courage and shouted, "Jonas!" And he, saw us, smiled and said Hi, gave his luggage to the bodyguard, got out from the line he was supposed to walk on and greeted us T_T

Jonas taking a selfie with moi!

He said Hi, we hugged and took photos together. I said thanks, I said what a wondrous performance, I said please come back again next year. It was a very brief moment since he actually had to go back to his van, but it was a moment I will remember forever. He and Silas signed my Visuals CD. He actually still wanted to hang out a little bit more (I was told by the concert crew), but the bodyguards took him and told us to end the photo session. Jonas said thanks many times and smiled a lot. I said to myself, what did we do to deserve Jonas. The most beautiful and friendliest human on earth. The only JB that matters.

I was told they're working on new albums and asked the concert crews to take them back again right after they release the album. So I will not worry, I will meet them again soon. And now, I'll just need to listen to their songs on repeat, until next time :)

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave